Frequently asked questions
1. What is Centreon?
Centreon is the growing software and services company that is behind one of the industry’s open source reference for enterprise monitoring, also known as Centreon (formerly CES Standard). We develop and commercialize IT infrastructure monitoring solutions and software products that are based on open source or open standards, such as Nagios. Centreon also has a software suite that counts about 20,000 community members to date, while its free open source monitoring platform gets about 3,000 downloads a month.
2. Who owns Centreon?
3. Where does Centreon operate?
4. Why is Centreon Web sometimes referred to as Centreon?
5. We offer Centreon-related services and would like to use the Centreon logo on our website. Can we and where can we find the right logo to use?
Yes, as long as our trademark policy and usage is respected. Please also consult our logo and brand guidelines for the right application that can be found on our resources page.
6. We are a company offering integration services for Centreon open source software. Can we list ourselves as a Centreon partner? If no, how do we become a partner?
You may use the Centreon logo to indicate that it’s a technology or software you support but you may not use the term “Centreon Partner”. To become a partner, please contact us.
7. We are a Centreon partner. Is there a special Centreon logo for partners?
1. How do I get the price list for Centreon solutions and products?
Please contact us and talk to our sales team.
2. What does Centreon product roadmap look like? And where can I find it?
Our roadmap is updated on a quarterly basis and is shared with customers upon request. If you are a Centreon customer, please “opt in” to receive our news and notifications. If you are interested in Centreon solutions and products but you are not yet a customer, please contact us.
3. Do I need to pay to get access to Centreon's monitoring platform?
No. Centreon (formerly known as CES Standard) is fully open source and free to use. You can download and install it right away. You only pay if you want Centreon EMS for enterprise, Centreon IMP for SMBs, or any of our add-on software modules such as Centreon EPP, MAP, BAM or MBI.
4. How do I order Centreon products?
5. How can I try Centreon products?
To try out the Centreon monitoring system or platform with Centreon Plugin Packs (found in Centreon EPP and Centreon IMP), simply download here to install and run. Don’t forget to sign up and create your user account if you wish to take advantage of 5 extra Plugin Packs that cover network protocol indicators in addition to native SNMP protocols.
To try out Centreon MAP, BAM or MBI, contact us for a demo and trial version.
6. How does Centreon compare against other enteprise monitoring market players?
As an open source monitoring solution provider who’s been in the business for more than 10 years, Centreon is a leading industry reference for many users familiar with Nagios standards. Our customers include both Fortune 500 corporations as well as SMBs as we deliver one of the most competitive value-for-money monitoring solutions in the market. Contact our sales reps to find out how Centreon software functionalities measure up.
7. Is it possible to acquire a trial license for Centreon products?
Absolutely and remember – to use Centreon, there is no need for a trial license as we have made it completely accessible and free to use for as long as you want. For a trial license of Centreon MAP, Centreon BAM and Centreon MBI, please fill out the online form. To sample Centreon EPP, sign up and receive 5 free Centreon Plugin Packs that cover essential network protocols (DHCP, DNS, HTTP, LDAP).
8. I want to use Centreon EMS for a lab or pre-production environment. Do you have a special license for this?
Yes. We offer up to 50% reduction for license and support in a lab or pre-production environment. To better scope out your need, please contact us.
9. We are an IT hosting and outsourcing services company that offers monitoring to several clients. Does Centreon have a special solution or license model for us?
We encourage you to check out Centreon EMS. It has been conceived to be comprehensive and scalable, with very competitive price brackets that meet the needs of many large multi-site infrastructures, including those of IT hosting and outsourcing service companies. However, if you have some specific requirements you’d like to explore with Centreon, please contact us.
10. Why do you no longer offer CES Essential, Advanced and Complete?
The CES bundles (Essential, Advanced, Complete) have been discontinued and re-structured under a new product and solution strategy. We kept and built on some of the software components and functionalities that were highly valued and popular with our customers, streamlining them into 2 main solutions: Centreon EMS for multi-site enterprise monitoring, and Centreon IMP for immediate SMB IT monitoring. If you are interested in a software functionality that was previously found in any of the CES bundles, please contact us.
11. Why has CES Standard been re-named Centreon?
CES Standard was an earlier software bundle of different components built and supported to work with Nagios. Today, that software bundle has become an innovative tripartite and autonomous open source system made up of Centreon Engine, Centreon Broker and Centreon Web that delivers a robust and proven monitoring-ready platform. We wanted to recognize this coming of age of our holistic signature solution and give it the brand namesake that users associate with us.
12. Why did Centreon re-name its Centreon software to Centreon Web?
When we first started, Centreon software was the UI console to manage Nagios monitoring. Today, Centreon’s signature software and solution offers so much more than just the UI console. It is a complete open source monitoring platform in itself – one that we proudly and freely share. Therefore, we believe our signature software deserves the namesake of what we stand for today and our history, while Centreon Web is the better name to describe its web UI, one of 3 major components that make up Centreon.
1. Does Centreon carry out integration and installation if needed? And where?
Our team of software and monitoring experts and consultants deliver professional services that accompany customers in installation, migration, operational maintenance, interoperability, among others. Download the Centreon ProServices factsheet for more information. Centreon may recommend a local integrator partner if necessary.
2. Does Centreon carry out monitoring audits?
Centreon ProServices offer operational monitoring audit on any Centreon platform as part of its operational performance services. Learn more on our Services page. Centreon does not perform monitoring audits on other monitoring systems.
3. Does Centreon charge for setting up a PoC?
Yes. We consider a PoC to be as good as a production solution, ensuring it is operationally reliable and deployment-ready. Please contact our sales team and ask for our Quickstart POC service package.
4. Why do I need a techsupport contract with Centreon when I buy Centreon EMS or any of Centreon's software products?
TechSupport automatically comes with the Centreon enterprise solution or any standalone software module you purchase as we consider it a must-have in ensuring robust performance continuity of your Centreon software and its interdependencies.
5. Why do I need to renew my techsupport and maintenance contract every year?
You are strongly encouraged to this to benefit from the continuous evolution of R&D improvements and updates to your Centreon software. This contributes to the optimal performance and maintenance of your Centreon monitoring system as a whole.
6. I have Centreon software extensions (Syslog/WAA/Auto-Disco, etc) and understand that they have been phased out. How will this impact my support and maintenance contract?
If your support and maintenance contract is associated to these software extensions, you can call our service to help work out a transition plan. If you don’t have a support and maintenance contract, you may want to consider a support plan, by the day, to manage this.
7. Do you offer training?
Yes, Centreon offers regular training related to our software and products. Centreon ProServices (CPS) also offers on-demand training for specific Centreon-related needs onsite or for partners. Please contact us about your specific need.
8. Why has Centreon changed the pricing of its professional services based on daily rate to project-based?
From experience, we have optimized and standardized our intervention for the most common and in-demand services. Project-based pricing reflects that best practice approach and gives our customers an immediate idea of required budgets. It’s more efficient and effective in our delivery to customers and it’s based on proven number of days.
9. What are the technical requirements (HW, SW, OS versions) to set up a Centreon monitoring system?
Centreon is open source based. There is no limit to deploying and using it. You can monitor as many hosts as you wish and on an unlimited number of remote polling nodes. For the technical pre-requisites, please refer to the Centreon technical information HERE.
10. How do I know which version of Centreon Engine, Broker and Web are in Centreon 3.x at a time?
Please check our technical documentation that gets updated or revised regularly.
11. What are the technical requirements for installing Centreon EMS?
The software pre-requisites for installing Centreon EMS includes all pre-requisites associated to Centreon, Centreon Plugin Packs, Centreon MAP, Centreon BAM and Centreon MBI. For a detailed consultation, please contact us.
12. What are the technical requirements for installing Centreon IMP?
The pre-requisites for installing Centreon IMP are the following:
– Centreon monitoring platform with Centreon Web 2.8.x at the very least, and its associated requirements
– a good working Internet connection
– a valid subscriber account
13. What are the technical requirements for installing Centreon EPP, Centreon MAP, Centreon BAM or Centreon MBI?
The requirements are available for consultation on our online documentation site.
For each product, refer to the “prerequisites” or “installation” chapter. For Centreon EPP, please refer to Centreon Plugin Packs to find the relevant chapter.
14. What are the main differences between Centreon EMS and Centreon IMP?
Notwithstanding the size of your business, we consider that different companies have different IT needs. Centreon EMS is the enterprise edition that is founded on the free Centreon platform to offer a turnkey solution for distributed and multi-site IT infrastructure. It includes our entire software product suite: EPP, MAP, BAM, MBI, as well as unlimited ticket support and maintenance for them. The solution comes in the form of perpetual license or renewable every year. Contact us for what works best for you.
Centreon IMP is a no-frills monitoring solution for small IT teams (1-5) who want to get up and running quickly on their own, without having to deal with plugin scripting and testing. Centreon IMP offers proven enterprise-quality monitoring with a vast catalogue of Plugin Packs, ready with scripts and pre-configured templates that’s reliable and robust to be operational immediately. Technical queries are addressed simply by email. To use Centreon IMP, you simply sign up and pay online for the subscription duration required.
15. Can Centreon help to assess and advise the type of Centreon solution my company may need?
Yes, our Centreon ProServices team can help you do this by first understanding your business activity and what matters most in your ITOM. Then a drill-down into the number of infrastructure assets such as hosts and services that need to be monitored are agreed upon, and a recommendation for setting up KPIs, checkpoints and advanced metrics is made, corresponding to your business operations.
16. Centreon used to offer software extensions such as WAA, auto-discovery, Syslog, etc. How can I get them?
These extensions have been phased out.
17. I have an old CES version integrated with Nagios. Can Centreon help with upgrade and integration to Centreon?
Yes, Centreon ProServices (CPS) offers a Quickstart Migration package to help with this, starting from 6,990 euros. Contact us for a consultation.
18. I am using Nagios and would like to centralize monitoring on the Centreon system. Can you help with migration?
Yes, Centreon ProServices (CPS) offers a Quickstart Migration package to help with this, starting from 6,990 euros. Contact us for a consultation.
19. I am using part proprietary and part open source for monitoring and would like to integrate Centreon. Can you help?
Please contact us for a detailed consultation.
20. If I acquire just a Centreon module (MAP/EPP/BAM/MBI), does Centreon cover support for the open source Centreon system as well?
No, the purchased product only includes support for the said software module. You are encouraged to sign up for a dedicated support plan to cover your Centreon open source platform.
21. Is your technical support 24/7?
Our published support plans work on European timezone to cover operations from 8:30am to 6:30pm. We offer 24/7 support plans for specific customer requirements on an on-demand service agreement basis. Please contact us if you need 24/7 support.
22. How does Centreon technical support handle issues?
Regardless of the annual support plan, Centreon TechSupport (CTS) adheres to a 3×3 response escalation and criticality policy and engages to treat a raised ticket within 90 minutes. The ticket is assigned accordingly to 1 of 3 expertise level based on the software implicated: core, specific or third party software, to be resolved and/or be escalated further, depending on the criticality of the problem.
Criticality is defined in 3 categories: blocking, major and minor. Problems of a “blocking” nature is deemed to severely impact the entire monitoring system, making it impossible to run any monitoring operations. “Major” problems are those that partially impact the monitoring system and operations. “Minor” problems do not disrupt the monitoring system or operations and have to do with software usage such as bugs in discovery of services or failure linked to ACL, incorrect reporting, etc.
Core software refers to any software developed and maintained officially by Centreon e.g. Centreon Engine, Centreon Broker, Centreon Web, etc. Third party software refers to any software developed and maintained by a party or parties outside Centreon, whether proprietary or open source. For example, this could mean contributions by Centreon community collaborators such as Centreon 2.3 and also Ubuntu, Debian, Nagios, Apache, PHP, NDOutils, etc. Specific software refers to any software developed by Centreon under a specific service contract that may include customized reports, widgets, custom web views, etc.
1. What is included in Centreon IMP?
The Centreon IMP trial version includes:
– ready-to-run full-feature Centreon monitoring platform with plugin-ready integration to monitor Centreon natively plus Linux SNMP, Windows SNMP, MySQL database, standard printers and standard UPS.
– Online tutorials and documents to help get started.
– 5 FREE Plugin Packs to cover networking protocols (DHCP, DNS, HTTP, LDAP, FTP)
The Centreon paid subscriptions include all of the above, plus:
– the full catalogue of Centreon-managed Plugin Packs (covering 150+ major IT domains, over 2000 pre-configured command templates)
– updates and maintenance to renew and ensure quality for the library of plugin packs
– web-based help desk
2. Are there restrictions to the trial version of Centreon IMP?
None whatsoever. Try it for as long as you like, and on any number of hosts if it meets your monitoring needs. In the spirit of open source, Centreon has been conceived to make monitoring available and easy for any IT organization.
3. What are the technical requirements (HW, SW, OS versions) to set up a Centreon monitoring platform to use Centreon IMP?
Centreon is open source based and is associated to an instance of a central server. The key pre-requisite for using Centreon IMP is to download and install the FREE Centreon monitoring platform. Please ensure you are running Centreon 3.4 with Centreon Web 2.8 (dedicated for IMP). This process will advise on any HW and SW requirements.
4. Can I transfer my subscription on another Centreon host?
No, it is not possible. Centreon IMP is based on Centreon host authentication via a unique identifier. If you change the technical feature of Centreon host, your identifier becomes wrong. Thus, it is recommended that you do not change the feature of your Centreon host. However, if you want to change that, please contact us on email@example.com
5. Can I upgrade, downgrade or cancel my Centreon IMP subscription at any time?
Any change or cancellation of your subscription, once paid, will take effect at the end of your chosen plan. If for any exceptional reason you wish to change or cancel immediately, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. How can I make payment?
You can pay using a credit or debit card, by PayPal.
7. How can I subscribe to a few different subscription plans?
You may subscribe to a few different plans by checking out each order separately. This is to ensure that a dedicated license key is associated to each Centreon IMP platform with the chosen duration.
8. Is there a discount for Centreon IMP subscriptions?
The 6-month and 12-month subscription plans of Centreon IMP offer discounted rates that give you savings up to 17% and 28% respectively.
9. As a subscriber of Centreon IMP, how can I get help if I run into problems?
Centreon IMP is designed for IT administrators, with access to relevant technical documentation HERE. As a subscriber, you can also send queries via our online helpdesk via Kayako.
10. What can I do if my installation of Centreon IMP does not work?
Please check if you have downloaded and installed the required Centreon software versions, and followed the user guide and tutorials provided online. If the problem with installation persist, please raise a ticket using your account via the dedicated online helpdesk.
11. What happens if I stop my subscription to Centreon IMP? Will I lose all the Centreon plugins I've installed?
No, the installed Centreon Plugin Packs will remain in your system. However, your monitoring will not have access to updates, enhancements and new plugins.
12. What are the main differences between Centreon EMS and Centreon IMP?
Notwithstanding the size of your business, we consider that different companies have different IT needs. Centreon EMS is the enterprise edition that completes the free Centreon platform to offer a turnkey solution for distributed and multi-site IT infrastructure. It includes our comprehensive software product suite: EPP, MAP, BAM, MBI, as well as unlimited ticket support and maintenance for them. The solution comes in the form of perpetual or renewable license every year. Contact us for what works best for you.
Centreon IMP is a no-frills monitoring solution based on the free Centreon platform for small IT teams (1-5) who want to get up and running quickly on their own, without having to deal with plugin scripting and testing. Centreon IMP offers proven enterprise-quality monitoring with a vast catalogue of Plugin Packs (150+), ready with scripts and pre-configured templates that’s reliable and robust to be operational immediately. Technical queries are responded to simply by email. All that’s needed to use Centreon IMP is to sign up and pay online for the chosen plan.
13. Does Centreon IMP have a topology mapping feature?
Not in the current version.
14. How can I find out what Centreon IMP monitors with its plugin packs?
You can check out our full Centreon Plugin Pack library online.
15. Is Centreon IMP compatible with Nagvis?
In the Centreon open source community, you will find users who have successfully integrated Nagvis with Centreon because of the open source standards maintained. You may be able to find resources and help on GitHub if desired. As a company, we do not support the compatibility of Centreon IMP with Nagvis.
16. How can I add Centreon MAP, BAM or MBI to Centreon IMP?
Please contact us if you’d like to integrate additional Centreon functionalities to your Centreon IMP user license.
17. Can I pay in USD or other currency besides Euro?
Not at present.